On 30th July Ma H described the second trip to TaWa, see letter of 11th July.

TaWa reprise


Dear Ma K ~ I'll tell you about the trip.  We set out at 7.30am for TaWa, carrying contributions for the other half of the village that we had to leave out last time due to supplies running out.  And to offer them medical attention.

When we got there, the headman told us there were only 90 households on this side of the bridge, so we had come with a lot more stuff than was needed!  We then decided to assemble at the school for giving out the donations.

We had gone in two cars this time, our friends and relatives, and your little aunt and friends.  There were only two doctors this time.  Quite a collection of stuff we took ~ cooking pans, blankets, cups and plates, clothes, lentils, rice, sweets,oil, and school stuff for the children.  There were lots of children this time, amongst those needing medical attention.  There were several babies, just born.  We could give proper help this time, it felt good.  Some of the kids were so small, it was pitiful.

As we had so much stuff left over, I told the others that we should go on to another village, there was plenty of time as well.  Amongst our friends was someone who had been the head teacher in a village in the KawHmu district, so we decided to go there.  We asked the driver if he would take us further, we would of course pay extra.  We had our picnic lunch at a pagoda, and had a chance to offer prayers there and at another pagoda famous in Twante.  On the way to the second pagoda, we saw houses which were on the point of falling down.  We gave to the children goodies, and to the householder who had no house to hold we gave a cooking pot and two of our packets of biryani.  At this village we saw a child who had been born with no hands, learning to write with a foot, already in the 8th standard at school.

We continued on to KawHmu, it was pouring with rain all the way, we could hardly see the road.  We bought rice to donate.  The village was much further on from KawHmu, we took a dirt track off the main road.  Along this track were rubber trees and forest.  The track ended and the way on was a muddy path, only traversible by motor cycle and tractor.  The lady who had been a teacher in the village went off to alert the villagers.  We waited for about 15 minutes, during which time we gave clothes to some passersby.  It was raining furiously.  Three cycles arrived and we doctors went on ahead.  All along the route was a bamboo forest.  It was very narrow, no room to put up an umbrella as there was bamboo on either side of the path entangled across the way.  It was about a 20 minute ride.  There were no houses at all along the way, only bamboo thickets.  We were told that the people make charcoal.  I didn't make out the name of the village, it had about 180 households.

The doctors set up in one house, and the donations were assembled in another place, all under heavy rain.  We changed our tops, which were spattered with mud.  I think your little aunt arrived by Toraji.

It was quite a tiring trip.  But as we were able to give proper medical attention, and had a lot of stuff to donate, it was happy (for the villagers).

On our return to Yangon, we dropped in at your aunt's house, getting home about 7.30pm.  I will try and send some photos.  Your aunt says you will be coming to Burma, we are much looking forward to seeing you again.